Friday, May 30, 2008

What am I reading?

On Allison's Blog she said, "See, we're interesting too" (ie, all we ever talk about is our kids) So here's something about me... I love to read. I always have. I was the kid who got made fun of on the bus because I was always reading instead of making out on the back seat. I had a tradition during high school and college of reading "Gone With the Wind" on Thanksgiving day. I'm sure I've read it over 10 times. I usually read fiction and I have a special love for mysteries and historical fiction. Right now there are about 20 books waiting to be read in a pile, and lately with more traveling I had some more time to read. What have I been reading this month? I read four of the Maisie Dobbs mysteries this month (by Jacqueline Winspear) and I liked all of them. They were far from a candy read - mysteries with more of a psychological slant set in London in 1917-1920's - very interesting. A more "candy" mystery was Louise Penny's "Still Life", which I enjoyed too (more of a beach read). I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" this week which I REALLY enjoyed - more than "The Kite Runner". Highly recommend! Certainly it gives more insight into the history of Afghanistan and the plight that women have faced there in recent years. I finished "The Devil in the White City" which is all based on truth about the Chicago World Fair and a Serial Killer in Chicago at the same time. Very interesting read. The last of the Ladies Detective Agency series came out-"The Good Husband of Zebra Drive", and it doesn't disappoint. I was SO EXCITED to finally read Shannon Hale's "Book of a Thousand Days" and saved it for my vacation. I must have built up my expectations a little too high - it was still good but not incredible. I liked "Princess Academy" and "The Goose Girl" series so much! Currently I'm reading "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde which came highly recommended. I must say that I've been struggling to get through. Every time I pick it up I fall asleep... am I more tired this week or have I just not gotten "into" it?

Here's a glance at my "to read" list:
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Staricase of a Thousand Steps by Masha Hamilton
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
The Interior by Lisa See
More Louise Penny mysteries

OK, looking at this post it doesn't make me look more interesting, it makes me seem more boring than ever!! Anyway, this is one of my life-long passions. I really DO love to read, usually in the bathtub with a cold diet A & W close at hand. I daydream about the day that I can go to the pool and actually read a book while the kids play instead of the hawk eye at all times!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle ALWAYS has a book she's reading, or multiple books. If they made waterproof books she'd have one in the shower every morning. You should see the pile on the nightstand. A common phrase heard in our home is "I'm going upstairs to read my book." She's a FAST reader, too, much faster than me. She'll be 150 pages into a book in an hour.

She's almost 100% into fiction, though, so she misses out on gems like "Your Money & Your Brain" and "the Intelligent Investor." Definite page-turners.

The Parkers said...

I love to hear what you're reading! Jake makes fun of me all the time for my speed reading. I can't help it!
I tried 3 cups of tea and just couldn't make it through. Maybe I just needed to stick with it for a while more. I tried The Red Tent too, but it was a little too graphic for me. I'm gonna dig into your list as soon as the library opens!
-Al

Shari said...

Maybe some day I'll watch your kids while you go and pretend you have older kids playing at the pool and read. And then it can be my turn!

AJ said...

I love this post! I've already read a lot of them, but I'm printing your list and taking it with me to the library. I just started "Host" slightly slow start, but it's getting good.

Anna@Exasperation said...

I love this blog, Michelle! I'm also going to print it off and take it to the library.

Allison said...

Yea - it is so fun to catch up on your blog!! I'm still not sure I believe that you weren't making out with anyone on the backseat of the bus, but whatever. No really, I'm excited to have great recommendations and to know about this great hobby of yours! Fun.

Jess said...

Hi Michelle (Dr. Fowers) :) I don't know if you remember us, but I saw a link to your blog on my friend, Shahna's blog...and I wanted to say hi!

critts said...

I love that you included the books you're reading - I am always looking for a new recommendation and now I know who to come to for one!

Stephanie said...

You must be a fast reader if you can read Gone With the Wind in ONE DAY??!! Did I read that right?? That's impressive. I wish I had your speed! I'm still trying to finish Twilight. You should join goodreads.com! If you do, though, you can't make fun of the small stack of books on my "repertoire"... it's pretty shameful compared to yours. :)

Stephanie said...

I was just telling Dale how impressive you are that you can read Gone With the Wind in a day! He said, wow... it's 864 pages! I was a little surprised that he just happened to know how many pages are in the book, kind of random huh? Plus, isn't it kind of a "girly" book? So I asked how he knew... turns out he read it in highschool for extra credit trying to beat a girl in class for the higher grade. That's Dale for ya! :)

jfowers said...

Hi Michelle,
From one bookworm to another: Read on! Have you tried Elizabeth George? She is the one fiction writer I've found who has me looking up three or four words a book. But her murder mysteries are quite intriguing.
Wonderful family. Hello to Jedd, too and love to all of you,
Aunt Jana