Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Making Cupcakes

I was on a mission for a while to create the perfect cupcake. Who can drive all the way to Sprinkles? Mostly they were terrible, but these double chocolate, extra rich cupcakes are pretty tasty. You might have a heart attack after, but it just might be worth it.
Jackson is a pretty good little chef, by the way.


Madeline approves. All we heard for 2 days was, "Mow cukcake, pwease? Pweas? Mow cukcake PWWWEAASE..... NOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!! Mow cukcake NOOOWWWW!!!"


Here they are --

Make your heart pound Double Chocolate No-fail cupcakes:
24 paper liners
1 package plain German chocolate cake mix
1 package vanilla (I used Chocolate) instant pudding mix
1 Cup Sour Cream - you can use reduced fat, but not fat-free
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (I used shaved/cut up chocolate bar), 8 oz

1. Place rack in the center of oven, preheat to 350 degrees, line cupcake cups with paper liners.

2. Place mixes, sour cream, water, oil and eggs in large mixing bowl and blend at low speed for 30 sec. then 2 min at med speed, scraping sides as needed. Fold in chocolate. Scoop into liners 3/4 way full.

3. Bake for 15-18 min. VERY IMPORTANT!! Do NOT Overbake, just cook until they spring back when lightly pressed and not gooey in the middle. Overbaking leads to dry cupcakes. Let cool for 5 min, then transfer carefully to wire rack. Cool for 15 min more.

Frosting:
6 ounces white or mild chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temp (NOT FAT FREE)
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, room temp
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Flavoring - I like 1 tsp vanilla, almond, or peppermint extract. Pick a favorite.

1. Put the chocolate in a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute, stirring at 30 sec and 1 min, mix until smooth, allow to cool.

2. Mix cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on low speed for 3o sec. Mix in chocolate, blend 30 sec. Add flavoring, add sugar. Add until frosting is fluffy on medium, about 1 min.

Spread frosting thickly on cupcakes. Delicious!

6 comments:

Kamie said...

I find myself always choosing the same blog background as you somehow. I am not sure who chooses first but I was so happy I changed mine and found one I liked and then saw your blog and was too tired of looking for new backgrounds so I went back the the old one. I think we did it within a few hours of eachother too.

AJ said...

Love what you've done with the blog! Can't wait to try the cupcakes. I love a new recipe. Is sprinkles really within driving distance? I am dying to try a red velvet.

Becca said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe. I can't wait to try them out! I think I will have to make them for an after school snack sometime. I will totally impress my kids:) You look so cute with Jackson:)

~Becca:)

Allison said...

Compliments to the chef when I am drooling just looking at the picture. The sour cream here is, well, just not the same as it is in the U.S. but I am still going to try them! Love the first day of school pics too - Jackson is so handsome! :-)

Anna@Exasperation said...

I'm glad you posted the recipe because I was going to ask for it. We LOVED these!

HalnJess said...

Holy cats! These look awesome!!

Ok, I'm now adding these to my "try it out" list this week.