Saturday, November 22, 2008

Halloween - finally

Madeline was a pink poodle for part of Halloween week and a witch for the rest. The poodle legs were too heavy to climb stairs to ring the doorbell and beg for candy - not to mention the costume makers don't understand the mechanics of potty training. She had to GO during trunk-or-treating 3 times, and it takes about 15 minutes to de- poodle. Thus the witch.
Does anyone else think Halloween is now overdone? It is now about 2 weeks of constant Halloween - the school party, the neighborhood party, the stuff at the mall, the church party, actual trick-or-treating - and of course the hideous blow-up halloween pumpkins on people's lawns. We had a house in our neighborhoods that was turned into a giant spider web with spiders the size of a smart car crawling all over it. Ugh. I had to change my driving route to avoid it.

I'm not saying I hate Halloween. I'm a normal mom who loves to eat the candy her children beg for. How could I not like parading my kids around to show how adorable they are in a big stuffed costume? Did I not get my daughter 2 costumes? However, it seems that Halloween is now getting bigger than Christmas. Where does it end?

2 comments:

Chandy said...

I agree with you! That big spider web you mentioned sounds similar to the one that was a spactacle back in 1998, in San Jose, but the next year, only the bigger kids appreciated it... I'm also sad that Christmas squeezes out Thanksgiving earlier and earlier. I have no qualms with that arrangement except it's all about peddling the best product rather than what it really is for.

shahna said...

what a bunch of qts. i agree with you about the halloween thing lasting too long. I don't know what bothers me more, though. That or the fact that they start putting Christmas stuff out in early October!!!! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and lately it seems like we just skip right over it.